Indian Law/Leaves Carried Forward

Question
My company provides 16 days annual leave & 12 days paid sick leaves. Out of these only 5 annual leaves can be carried forward else it gets forfeited.

Is this carry forward clause correct? For all my previous companies, the casual leaves were carried forward to the next year which can also be en-cashed provided we keep at least 50 leaves balance.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Mufazzal Roowala
+91 9820474506

Answer
Leave Rules are framed by each Company with the approval of its Competent authority normally its Board of Directors.There is no hard and fast Rules in this regard and accordingly it varies from Organisations to Organisations.Therefore, it is fully at the discretion of your Management to frame it.Further, only EL and Medical Leaves can be carried forward subject to a ceiling limit.However,all casual leave expires after the year end.Moreover, only EL could be encashed either during your service period or after its termination or in both the cases.However, casual leave cannot be encashed.If not availed off, it will expire after the expiry of the period.Further,EL & Medical Leaves could be accumulated upto a limit of say 75/100/240/300 days.
In view of the above,leave will depend upon the Leave Rules of your Company.If out of yearly entitlement of 16 days EL, they allow you to carry forward 6 days only,it may be justified.Further, it is very unusual in your Company to allow encashment of C.L. which is an extra benefit enjoyed by you.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra