Indian Law/Resignation and notice period

Question
Hi Everyone!

I work at a multinational manufacturing (auto parts) company. I received a good offer from another company so I resigned my current job. My notice period is 2-months.

I served 1-month notice period already. Now I got another better offer for which I need to join on 2/Jan/2013. Which is my actual notice period - 15 days. This new company does not need my re-leaving order but I need it for my future.

If I do not join the new company on 2-Jan, I will loose this very good offer. I already negotiated with them for this date. So, I cant negotiate with them any more.

I spoke to my Manager to relieve me 15 days early and I would pay the salary for 15-days, but he refused. I spoke to him many times and in many ways but he would not relieve me early. I even tried speaking to General Manager & HR Manager but they said that only my Manager has the right to relieve me early.

My offer letter says that "The company reserves the right to pay or recover salary in lieu of notice period". Please advice what should I do in this situation.

If I can pay 15-days salary, should I pay the Gross salary/Basic/Take Home as per Indian Rules (I live in TN)?

Here is what my offer letter says:
"This contract of employment is terminable, without reasons, by either party giving one-month notice during probationary period and two months notice on confirmation. The Notice Period
entails the employee to discharge his duties without being on leave. Leave availed during the notice period with prior authorization by superior, must be compensated prior to being
relieved from the services of the Company. (Eg - If 5 Days leave is availed during the notice period , the last date will be shifted forward by 5 Days). The company reserves the right to pay or recover salary in lieu of notice period. Further, the Company may at its discretion relieve you from such dates as it may deem fit even prior to the expiry of the notice period."

Thanks for your help!

Answer
As per the terms of your engagement, contract may be terminated by either party giving  two months notice on confirmation. Moreover, employer has the right to recover the shortage in the notice-period and the Company may at its discretion relieve you from such date as it may deem fit even prior to the expiry of the notice period.However, there is no scope for the employee to leave by depositing pay in lieu of notice period.Therefore,it is fully at the dicretion of your employer to allow you to leave by giving shorter notice.

Since you have got a better opportunity and your new employer are not insisting for any release order,you should leave simply on the basis of your resignation letter.In future if you intend to make a further change,then release order will be necessary from your last employment only.However,Your existing employer may creat some problem in releasing your outstanding dues for which you may have to fight through court.Besides that I do not find any other problem for you.As you have served a notice for resignation and since your employer has the option to adjust the shortage in the notice period against your pay,there shoud be no loss for them to release you at shorter notice.They should not stand in the way of your progress in your career.Rather they should appreciate it and I hope court's decision shall be in your favour.However, to protect your interest please take all decisions in consultation with a lawyer.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra