Indian Law/Validity of Employment Bond

Question
Hi Sir,
I m currently working in a media company and while joining, I signed a employment bond of 18 months which was not on stamp paper nor on letter head.
I want to resign before the bond gets over.

Is the employment bond valid in this scenario if its not on stamp paper or company letter head ?

Can I be asked to pay the compensation amount ??

Looking forward for the help.

Thanks in Advance

Answer
If an instrument which is required to be executed on a Stamp Paper and remains un-stamped,it will not be acceptable in evidence.However, it can be legalised by paying the penalty as well as the apprpriate stamp duty.
Employment Bond in India is generally treated as a one sided contract and hence not enforecable through court of law unless it was executed to recover any reasonable actual losses suffered by the employer.Such contract subject to certain exceptions is treated as void under section 27 of the Contract Act.It is also violative of Article 19 of our Constitution,which guarantees freedom of practising any profession or to do any trade,business or profession to every citizen of India.
In view of the above,Bond executed on a non-stamp paper has no legal validity and further, even if it was valid,your employer could not recover anything more than the actual reasonable loss suffered by them.Therefore, they have no right to claim any compensation from you for pre-mature termination of contract.If they creat any problem in releaseing you or settling your dues, please serve a legal notice upon them.However, please take all actions in the matter in consultation with a service lawyer to protect your interest.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra