Indian Law/Capital gains - Sale deed-multiple heirs

Question
Hi Sir,
My Uncle died without a will few years ago; he had two daughters and a son (all adults). Due to family compulsions, they had to sell the property recently. A sale deed was prepared, where all the legal family heirs (his wife,i.e., my aunt and her 3 children) signed. Ultimately, the cheque for the whole sale was made on my aunt's name and subsequently deposited in her account.

From Capital gains perspective, I came to know through an acquaintance that all four - aunt and her three children have to produce capital gains (assuming equal share on the proceeds) irrespective of whether their banks have been credited with equal share or not. Is that true? Why would the kids need to submit capital gains, when they have not received the benefit (In terms of the deposit amount)...

can you please clarify this?

Answer
Capital Gains Tax has to be paid by each of the joint-owners proportionately, whose names were mentioned in the Sale-Deed.The tax is to be deposited before the due  date of filing the IT Return.However, full exemption could be got from depositing any tax by investing in any of the two specified securities vide section 54EC of the Income Tax  Act.These bonds are issued only by the National Highways Authority of India and Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd.You are to hold these bonds for atleast three years and you are to invest whole or part of the capital gains in these bonds within a period of six months after the date of such transfer.If you invest only part of these gains say out of Rs. 30 lacs you invest only Rs., 10 lacs,then you will have to pay tax on the remaing Rs. 20 lacs.For further details please consult an IT Expert.  

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra