Indian Law/Company refusing to accept Buy-out period

Question
I gave my resignation (by company e-mail on 05/12/2012. But there was no reply.The offer letter states 2 months' notice or salary thereof. I had not mentioned that I would give them a buy-out period but asked to be relieved immediately. I was unable to serve the 60-day notice period as my father is seriously ill, which reason I had stated in the letter.

And the director has now disabled my company e-mail id, internal ids, etc., and not answering my phone. I had told them I am willing for a buyout period also. They have not asked for my photo id or building id cards too. Though in other cases, where employees have stopped coming in, they were called in given relieving letter & other settlements, without asking the employee to pay any penalties. The employees were paid in full though they had the 2-month notice period or salary in lieu clause.

I cannot go to work as this is a night shift of 9.5 hours, in any emergency, I will not be able to rush back home from outside the city #ambattur industrial estate, chennai#. The company also has been holding PF amount from salary, but hasn't opened any PF account or given any PF a/c number like I received in previous employments.

I wish to get my relieving letter from them, so kindly advise. Relieving letter is for the purpose that in future they should not be able to hold me legally abiding in any way. And also in future if I look for a job elsewhere.

Answer
Dear Sunita,
Your termination notice has to be accepted by your employer as per the termination clause contained in the contract.Since there is provision to adjust shortage in the notice period against pay, you have every right to ask your employer to release you by making necessary adjustment for any shortage in the notice period against your pay.However, for exigencies of work, they may request you to extend the date of your release but could not compel you to do so.It is simply a breach of contract on their part.Since you have a very valid ground to terminate your contract, there is no justification on their part to refuse to accept it.Further, they have done a criminal offence by not yet depositing your CPF amount with the RPF Commissioner.
In view of the above,I would advice you to initially send another reminder very politely expressing practical difficulty in continuing due to serious illness of your father and requesting them to accept your notice of resignation.Please also mention in it to make necessary adjustment against your pay for any shortage in the notice period ,if necessary.If you do not get any reply within a reasonable period say within next 7/15 days, then serve a legal notice to release you as per your notice and also settle your outstanding dues and reminding them that failing which,you shall be compelled to take suitable legal actions against them.Moreover, under no circumstances, you should pay any amount from your own pocket because they can adjust it against your outstanding dues.For violation of PF Act,you can lodge a complaint with the Office of RPF Comissioner with a copy to the Labour Secy. of your state.
With Best Wishes.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra