Indian Law/legal heir ship certificate

Question
if four family members(mother in law, daughter in law, grand son @ grand daughter) are holding property ownership & one of them is died (mother in law)& remaining three want to sell property,is the legal heir ship certificate required..?

Answer
It is fully at the discretion of the true owner of the property to take any decision about proper use of his property.Presuming in the instant case, your father is the true owner of the disputed property,he has full discretion to allow/dis-allow you or your sister-in-laws to stay in that house.However,he can transfer his interest in his properties to you through a duly execxuted Gift-Deed.Otherwise,after his death for change of ownership,law of inheritance willl  apply. The said law is given below
If a male Hindu dies without making a "WILL",then the wealth left by him are distributed amongst his legal heirs preferably equally to his class-I heirs comprising son,daughter,widow,son/daughter of a predeceased son/daughter etc. and otherwise to class-II heirs comprising father,brothers/sisters etc.as per the order prescribed in the Act.However,prior to amendment of the Hindu Succession Ac,1956 the daughters were excluded from participating in the coparcenaries ownership and thus discriminated  on the ground of  gender. It also led to oppression and negation of her fundamental right of equality guaranteed under Article 226 of the Constitution of India. Parliament felt the same and accordingly decided to make in necessary changes in the law.  Accordingly, Section-6 of the Hindu Succession Act, 1956 was substituted by a new provision vide the Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005 under which  daughters who were born and married before 1956 are also entitled to get a share in the property left by a deceased person.
The property of a Hindu female dying intestate, or without a will, shall devolve in the following order:
1. upon the sons and daughters (including the children of any pre-deceased son or daughter) and the husband,
2. upon the heirs of the husband.
3. upon the heirs of the father, and
upon the heirs of the mother.
Therefore,in the instant case,after the death of a member of the family,the property will devove in the said order.However, if he/she has made a WILL,then it will devove as per the last desire made in the WILL.In case of a WILL,it will be necessary to get it certified by the court after the death of the maker of the WILL.In case of need of a Succession Certificate,One of the beneficiaries will be required to apply for it in the court.
Alternatively, you can enter into a "Family Settlement Deed" and get it registered.
Please take above actions in consutation with a lawyer.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra