You are here:



I want to change my son's name in the birth certificate.  At time of his birth the name was registered as M. SIDDHARTH HARIHARASUDAN but we have admitted him in the school as M. SIDDHARTH.  His all school and college records has M. SIDDHARTH. Now we are going to apply for passport for which the name has to be changed from M. SIDDHARTH HARIHARA SUDAN to M. SIDDHARTH.  Please advice me how to change his name in the birth certificate.

Dear Muthiah,

Your son is now major and all his school and academic records show his name as M.Siddharth. The memorandum of marks for 10th Standard reveal the date of birth as is given at school and continue with the other college certificates. In my opinion for Passport the Birth Certificate is not necessary if the date of birth and name is shown to be correct in the 10th Standard Marks Memo.

As for the procedure to obtain the birth certificate, your son, if he is major, needs to seek a declaration from a competent court of law. Based on the declaration, the corporation will change the name in their records and issue a new certificate.  A good lawyer will be best able to guide and assist you in the process.

Best regards
Javed Razack

Indian Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Javed Razack


The medium of allexperts in asking questions and soliciting answers is for people who are in real need of assistance on their grievance. I may not be able to accommodate request on opinions, suggestions and queries from people who desire answers for their academic interest. I do not solicit professional work through the medium of allexperts. I will not be answering questions which are not asked by genuine seekers on their issues and problems. Students, Junior Lawyers, Job seekers, Para Legal and non-serious persons are requested to abstain and refrain from raising queries so as to provide this platform for genuine people in availing the facility. Questions for any academic interest will be rejected. No client attorney relationship is established by answering your query(s). I do not accept requests for legal advice nor offer any specific legal advice through the medium of allexperts or its Web page. The answers and comments are for illustrative purposes only and should not be relied or regarded as legal advice. The answer to the grievance of the particular online query depends on the facts of the particular case and law applicable to it. Answers and information disseminated on this Web site is intended to be educational in nature and not intended to be a source of advertising or solicitation or be interpreted as legal advice. Users and viewers discretion is solicited and itís at your own risk. I will endeavor to answer questions on Indian Laws concerning Civil disputes on property, recovery or any other contractual obligation, Criminal disputes on Indian Penal Code, Negotiable Instruments Act, Company matters, Income Tax, Arbitration, Family and matrimonial issues, please ask.


Successful in acheiving what I regard job satisfaction.

Self Employed

Many Journals

Master in Law

Awards and Honors

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.