Indian Law/NAME CHANGE IN BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Question
I want to change my son's name in the birth certificate.  At time of his birth the name was registered as M. SIDDHARTH HARIHARASUDAN but we have admitted him in the school as M. SIDDHARTH.  His all school and college records has M. SIDDHARTH. Now we are going to apply for passport for which the name has to be changed from M. SIDDHARTH HARIHARA SUDAN to M. SIDDHARTH.  Please advice me how to change his name in the birth certificate.

Answer
Dear Muthiah,

Your son is now major and all his school and academic records show his name as M.Siddharth. The memorandum of marks for 10th Standard reveal the date of birth as is given at school and continue with the other college certificates. In my opinion for Passport the Birth Certificate is not necessary if the date of birth and name is shown to be correct in the 10th Standard Marks Memo.

As for the procedure to obtain the birth certificate, your son, if he is major, needs to seek a declaration from a competent court of law. Based on the declaration, the corporation will change the name in their records and issue a new certificate.  A good lawyer will be best able to guide and assist you in the process.

Best regards
Javed Razack

Indian Law

Javed Razack