Indian Law/Person in Legal Heirs Died.

Question
My father died and the legal heirs of his property are my mother, sister, myself and my grandmother. My grandmother died one month back. So Please let me know that whether any children of my grandmother will get any rights or heir ship for my fathers property? My father's siblings are not dependent on my grandmother.

Answer
If a male Hindu dies without making a "WILL",then the wealth left by him are distributed amongst his legal heirs preferably equally to his class-I heirs comprising son,daughter,widow,son/daughter of a predeceased son/daughter etc. and otherwise to class-II heirs comprising father,brothers/sisters etc.as per the order prescribed in the Act.

The property of a Hindu female dying intestate, or without a will, shall devolve in the following order:
1. upon the sons and daughters (including the children of any pre-deceased son or daughter) and the husband,
2. upon the heirs of the husband.
3. upon the heirs of the father, and
upon the heirs of the mother.

In the instant case, your grand-mother shall be entitled to share in her property either on the basis of a WIL made by her and  in the absence of the same subject to issue of a Succession Certificate by the court.
Alternatively to maintain peace and cordial relation within the family ,you can enter into a ''Family Settlement Deed''.It will facilitate equitable distribution of the wealth instead of concentration of the same in the hands of a few.Further,it would avoid litigation and will help to maintain reputation of the family.Even Courts have recognised such mode of settlement.However,it will also require registration of the Deed.
In view of the above, please take appropriate decision in the matter in consultation with a suitable lawyer.  

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra