Indian Law/Power of attorney given by a partner

Question
My dad and his 4 brothers are partners in a registered firm in tamilnadu. My father has given me a poa based on which I am attending the business. I have found out some misappropriation of funds by one of my uncles and have filed a suit against him. Now my uncle says that a partner cannot appoint anyone as his poa and has filed a suit in the munsif court praying to declare the poa given as null and void. My question is is that true?  Can my uncle challenge me in being the poa of my father because I have unearthed a lot of money diversions from the business to his personal accounts! Now he wants to stop me from involving in the business at any cost. Please advise me as and how to proceed? Thanks in advance Sir

Answer
Every person competent to contract has the right to engage a representative to look after his interest through a power of attorney. Nobody could prevent it.

The object of forming a partnership is to combine oneís talent and resources with another in order that both of them can make profits. However, when a business partner gets greedy, he starts stealing from Firmís Account. In such a situation, you can file a criminal complaint for embezzlement. It means theft of money by a person in position of trust. You can also file a suit for breach of fiduciary duty. You can also dissolve the Firm and form a new partnership.

Before lodging the complaint please ensure that mis-appropriation is actually taking place by inspecting the books of accounts. Otherwise, it will affect the reputation of the business and may ultimately result in dissolution of the firm. Further, if theft has indeed taken place, an employee rather than the partner might be behind it. So please make sure that the theft indeed took place, and that your uncle and not anyone else was behind the theft. Nothing is worse for the business than partners accusing each other of things that are misunderstood or absolutely untrue. Moreover, the Firm can face adverse consequences that arise from the criminal conduct of one of its partners. The partner can also sell his shares to a stranger, forcing you into an unplanned partnership.

So please take appropriate actions on the matter in consultation with a lawyer.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra