Indian Law/Relieving Letter Issue

Question
Dear Sir,
I am working as an Engineer in a small scale industry for last 6 months. I have got a job offer, from one of the top automotive companies in India, with a handsome salary. So, I wish to resign my present job.
The appointment letter at my present job has NO mention of 'notice period before leaving'. I have not signed any contract either. But, since its a small company, the owner might take my resignation in a negative way and might deny a 'Relieving Letter'. (I am saying this based on experiences of a few past employees.) The new company can give me a month to join but wants me to submit a relieving letter compulsorily. I will make sure for a smooth handover in one month. Does my employer have a legal right to deny a relieving letter? Can I take a legal action against him, if my relieving letter is denied? How long will it take to fight for a relieving letter in court? I will lose both jobs if it takes too long. Please Help !
Thank you.
Nitin, Pune, India

Answer
You can terminate the contract as per the terms of your appointment to be read with the service rules of your organisation.It is not believable that there was no termination clause in your appointment letter.Probably you have missed that clause.Further, in the absence of such clause in your offer -letter, it will be governed by your service-rules.So please go through both the documents and serve your notice accordingly.Further, in the absence of such clause in both the documents, you can leave simply by serving a notice.Your employer is legally bound to release you as per the terms of your engagement.If they do not accept your notice,please serve a legal notice immediately.Meanwhile, if possible, please seek time-extension from your new Company.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra