Indian Law/Share in self aquired property

Question
I have two younger brothers and one elder sister. Sister is married to a
school teacher, and brothers after M.A. degree have become college
lecturers. My father was a farmer, cultivated mainly with rain water.

My father helped me to study till B.Sc, and to study M.Sc my father was
unable to support fully due to lack of money. So, I took the Govt of
India National Educational Loan Scholarship, which was awarded based on
my B.Sc merit. Now, I have paid back all the loan amount with interest.

I was aimed to become a scientist, and hence appeared for an entrance
test and interviews. I got selected for a PhD program. Govt of India gave
me Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) for the first two years and for
another two years the Senior Research Fellowship (SRF). I successfully
completed PhD research work, and got the PhD degree in 1993. Based on the
quality of my research publications, I got a postdoctoral research
fellowship to work in Germany. Hence I had been to Germany with wife and
son for nearly two years.

In 1999, with my savings, I purchased one site in Bangalore, and one acre
land with cocanut trees in my home town. They are registered in my name,
and their katha and tax paid are also in my name. I also paid for the
land development of ancestral property at my home town.

Later in 2000, our ancestral property was divided between the three
brothers, sister and parents with appropriate shares to which every one
agreed happily. Then, I left my share of property along with one acre
land to my younger most brother to look after, as his job was not
regularized yet. For the past thirteen years, I have been working as a
scientist in an Institute in Bangalore, which is under Govt of India.

In 2008, both the brothers got regularized their Govt lecturer jobs and
living better off. So, I asked to return my property or pay me yearly
some fixed amount.
(1) But they are telling I must give them shares in my
   self acquired properties too. Their logic is our father gave you the
   education and hence you acquired those properties. Therefore, we are
   entitled for the shares.
(2) Also, if I leave my property in the possession of my brother for
   longer time,  will there be problems in future.
I request for your comments or advises on these issues (1) and (2).

Answer
First of all I am pleased to see achievment after achievement in your career.Not only you but even your brothers are also doing well.Particularly your academic achievement is superb.All of you have made your parents very proud.
Now coming to your basic query,I would like to inform you that since you are the true owner of the properties,it is your discretion about the enjoyment of that property.Technically, it is called right in rem.In other words, it means right against everybody in this world.So, you are enjoying this right not only against your brothers but against everybody in this world.So no question of giving any share to them.However,they should enjoy possession of those properties subject to your consent.Otherwise, it will be difficult to evict them in case of your genuine need.Moreover, they may ultimately become its owners due to too long period of enjoying the possession.This is technically called adverse possession or prescription.
It is a process by which premises can change ownership,without compensation, by holding the property in a manner that conflicts with the true owner's rights. It is governed by the provisions of the Transfer of Property Act.
In view of the above,please allow them to enjoy the possession subject to a registered Family Settlement Deed.Kindly take above actions in consultation with a suitable lawyer.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra