Indian Law/Settlement Deed Between Sisters

Question
I have a few questions regarding the above Deed?

1. Can a settlement Deed be made between brothers and sisters?

2. Is Settlement Deed valid if it is made by brothers and sisters who reside abroad on a property based in West Bengal?

3. Is it necessary to register the Settlement Deed?

4. If so, can it just be notarized and witnessed abroad and not registered in West Bengal.

5. If notarized abroad, can it be contested?

6. Can the Settlement Deed be contested if it is not registered in West Bengal?

7. Can the Settlement Deed between family members where some are residing in West Bengal and some abroad be executed abroad and then executed by the sencond party in West Bengal?

8. What are the fees involved in West Bengal for Regn of this Deed.   Per WB Finance Act 2011 the cost of stamp duty is fixed at 1% of the value of the property and Regn charges to a maximum of Rs. 2,000.   Does this rate apply to SD made between brothers and sisters OR does the family member include only father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter and grand child?

9.  Can a Settlment Deed exclude certain members or people in the family?

10.  Can a will exclude certain members of thefamily?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Shireen

Answer
A settlement can be registered between brothers and sisters. A settlement deed need to be registered to make it valid. It has to be registered in West Bengal. An unregistered settlement deed is not legally valid and enforceable and just notarizing the same is not valid. Settlement deed can be entered by all the stake holders and some can enter the settlement leaving the others but what is to be kept in mind that the settlement is valid only to their shares and will not concern others who has not entered into the deed. Hope this will suffice

Regards
Advocate Manoj Ambat

Indian Law

Advocate Manoj Ambat