You are here:

Indian Law/Parental Property


Hi Manoj,

We are three brother and 4 sisters and our parents has both self acquired and ancestral properties.My father was in govt service and brought properties some in his sons names and two propertes are in his names. We have agricultural land about 5 acres( ancestral) Plus one house.

I left my house 13 ys back to come to US for job and have been lving there now. My twp brothers who lives with my parents are not very well settled so they live in same house with my parents. So far my parents has not given any share of any property to me.My brother are lviing in same house and has been getting help from parent on an off.

Now our agricultural property is getting acquired by govt( in haryana) and my father is not giving me any share.Other two are gettgin soem share but thye neven tell me any thing or consult this with me .

Lasy year i brouht an summer home for my family in Gurgoam so we can come and stay in India as we have no place given by pour parents in our house.

Now they are saying since , i ahve my own house in India, i will not be getting any share from parental properties unless i share my gurgoan home with them too.

On top no infomation is shared with my for our ancestral proerty which is worth cores.

What can i do in this case if my father dont write any will or exclue me from will .


Dear Girish
On the onset let me reiterate that your brothers are not entitled to get any share on the building bought by you. If your father passes away without writing a will, all the children including you will get one share each. As far as the ancestral property goes, all sons and daughters will get one share each and your father cannot decide alone concerning the entire property. If your father does not write any will in his life time, after his death, you can file a partition suit to get your share partitioned from the joint property.  

Indian Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Advocate Manoj Ambat


I can answer any questions concerning Indian Law, that may include Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, family laws, consumer contracts, agreements personal laws including Hindu Laws and banking laws in India. I do not specialize in tax laws. DISCLAIMER: The profile and the answers given above by the expert are in conformity with the guidelines laid out by The Bar Council of India and is not intended as a means of Personal promotion nor as an Advertisement of services provided by this expert as an Advocate. The questions answered herein are free in nature and are in conformity of the legal aid programs of The Bar Council of India. Please also note that the answers given are specific to each question specified by the questioner and details provided by the same which may not reflect on the actual problems faced by the questioner. Hence it is advisable to personally consult a good Advocate/ Lawyer in your locality for solutions to your problems. The expert and this website does not undertake the accuracy of the answers herein given and the questioner's discretion is advised. FOR THE READERS: The answers given herein should not be considered as a general answer and are specific to the questions asked herein.The answers are only just path finders that leads you on the correct answers. It is always advisable to personally consult a lawyer for specific solutions to your problems


I am an Attorney/Advocate/Lawyer running independent practice having extensive practice in Criminal laws,Civil laws,Family laws,Divorce laws, Guardianship of children and minors,Consumer Laws and rights,Contracts and agreements,Property laws in Kerala,Labour laws,Medical negligence,personal laws including Hindu Laws, Tribal laws and rights and Motor Accident Claims for the past 13 years.

Having Independent practice and Senior Partner in Manoj Ambat (Law Firm).Also currently involved in Tribal Rights & Empowerment Movements in the hills of Attapady, Palakkad District, Kerala State giving free legal education and assistance as part of the Akhil Bharathiya Abhibhashaka Parishad legal assistance program along with associates

My blog ( Facebook ( Twitter (!/manojambat)

BA.L, LL.B, General Course in Intellectual Property Laws ( WIPO, Geneva)

Past/Present Clients
Individual clients and companies

©2017 All rights reserved.