Indian Law/Parental Property

Question
Hi Manoj,

We are three brother and 4 sisters and our parents has both self acquired and ancestral properties.My father was in govt service and brought properties some in his sons names and two propertes are in his names. We have agricultural land about 5 acres( ancestral) Plus one house.

I left my house 13 ys back to come to US for job and have been lving there now. My twp brothers who lives with my parents are not very well settled so they live in same house with my parents. So far my parents has not given any share of any property to me.My brother are lviing in same house and has been getting help from parent on an off.

Now our agricultural property is getting acquired by govt( in haryana) and my father is not giving me any share.Other two are gettgin soem share but thye neven tell me any thing or consult this with me .

Lasy year i brouht an summer home for my family in Gurgoam so we can come and stay in India as we have no place given by pour parents in our house.

Now they are saying since , i ahve my own house in India, i will not be getting any share from parental properties unless i share my gurgoan home with them too.

On top no infomation is shared with my for our ancestral proerty which is worth cores.

What can i do in this case if my father dont write any will or exclue me from will .

Thanks
Girish

Answer
Dear Girish
On the onset let me reiterate that your brothers are not entitled to get any share on the building bought by you. If your father passes away without writing a will, all the children including you will get one share each. As far as the ancestral property goes, all sons and daughters will get one share each and your father cannot decide alone concerning the entire property. If your father does not write any will in his life time, after his death, you can file a partition suit to get your share partitioned from the joint property.  

Indian Law

Advocate Manoj Ambat