You are here:

Indian Law/Advice regarding resignation


QUESTION: Good Morning sir

 I have recently(1 month ago) selected in a central govt department.Before joining I signed a bond of 5 years...and also deposited the bond money in i want to leave that organization....i have no much time to give them a 3 months notie period.i want to leave that organization matter if they cut my one month salary...what may be the legal way or the best way to resign...please suggest me.

ANSWER: Bonds are one sided contract executed under compulsion and it has no validity in the eye of law except in case of recovery of reasonable expenses like actual training expenses.As per section 27 of the Contract Act,all agreements in restraint of any profession are void.It also violates Article 19 of our Constitution,which guarantees freedom of professions to all individuals.Therefore,in the instant case,your employer has no authority to implement the Bond unless it is for recovery of substantial actual expenses incurred for providing say external training traing abroad.
You have every right to terminate your employment contract by complying with the terminatin clause stated in it.
In view of the above,you should not under any circumstances agree to pay any compensation to them.Apparently, you have a very strong case in the matter and nothing to worry about.Please take appropriate action in consultation with a lawyer.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you so much sir for your valuable advice.

as we have not gone through our training....and if it happens then they charge the fee about 10000 rupee for there is no training expenses(as i think..there may be another charges) am i free to give my resignation letter?

As already advised,you should not under any circumstances agree to pay any compensation to them.They have no right to recover such training expenses incurred within India.moreover,let them prove before the court the atual loss suffered by them before the court.They have no right to recover remote loss.Further, they can recover any such due from your outstanding dues.

Indian Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arun Kumar Maitra


Contract Law,Companies Act,Sale of Goods Act,Partnership Act,Negotiable Instument Acts,Constitution of India,Arbitration Act,Consumer Protection Act,Maternity Act,Payment of Gratuity Act,Payment of Bonus Act,Shops & Establishment Act etc.The answer to the grievance of the particular online query depends on the facts of the particular case and law applicable to it.However,my comments relating to the various queries raised through the "All Experts" should not be treated as legal advices and should not at all be relied upon.I do not accept any responsibility for them.They will only give you some ideas about the probable merits of your cases.Ultimate actions/decisions in the matter may please be taken in consultation with the Legal Experts in the relevant fields.My purpose of giving the comments is to increase my own knowledge on the subjects and share it with others.It is purely of academic interest to me. I strongly feel the more knowledge we share,the more we shall be able to learn because there is neither any age nor any end to learning.


I have experience of dealing with matters relating to holdings of board/general meetings,maintenance of statutory registers,filing of necessary returns with the RoC,obtaining licenses for import,replies to Parliament Questions,dealing with the Parliamentary Committees,appearing before various courts to defend my employers,filing affidavits/counter -affidavits,preparing written statements/re-joinder,giving advice to management on complicated legal issues,preparation,drafting and vetting of contracts etc. I have more than 35 years of experiences to deal with the Company Law and Other Commercial Laws of leading Organisations in the country both in Public as well as Private Sectors.

Member,Inst. of Chartered Accountants of India Member,Inst. of Company Secretaries of India; Member,Bar Council of India Member,All India Management Association Member,Delhi Management Association Ex. Vice-Chairman,Durgapore Chapter of the I.C.A.I. Expert ,CA Club India Expert ,Lawyers Club India Expert,AllExperts Ex. Faculty ,I.C.S.I as well as I.C.W.A of India Retd. Co. Secy. & G.M.(Law)/NFL(A Mini-Ratna A Schedule Central P.S.U.),New Delhi Ex.V.P.(Secretarial Dept.),Jaiprakash Associates Ltd. Ex. Co. Secy.,MAMC(A Govt. of India Enterprise),Durgapore



Awards and Honors
Obtained ''A'' Grade Certificate in the Parliamentary Procedure from the Secy. General of Parliament in 1994-95.It was in connection with a training course conducted by the BPE for PSU Executives.

Past/Present Clients
I am presently working as a Company Secretary in Old World Hospitality Pvt. Ltd.located in Delhi.It is engaged in Hospitality Industry.It has Units in India and abroad.It has been given the responsibility to look after operation & Management of ''India Habetat Centre'' located at Lodhi Road,New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.