Indian Law/conditional resignation

Question
Hello sir, i m an employee of a PSU (BEL) i ve been working with this company since last 4.5 years. I got married in oct and because of that i ve to relocate to other place which also has an office of my company. I had applied for transfer in aug 2012. And i still haven't got any official written answer to my application.but the GM of my office told me that higher authority is not willing to transfer me so he advised me that i should not waste my time and resign. Its been over six months i had applied for transfer. I m living away from my husband. What can i do in this matter. Should i resign conditionally. What does law say about transfers in PSUs. Plz guide me. Thanks in anticipation.

Answer
It is fully at the discretion of your employer to transfer you from one unit to another as per their requirements,unless place of posting was specified in your appointment letter.
However, on humanatorian ground,they should have listened to your request.Moreover,they cannot force you to resign.It is fully at your discretion,whether to continue or resign.
The word "resignation" technically means voluntary act of a party to leave his employer.It indicates the mental decision of the said person to put an end to the employment cantract.Since forced resignation is submitted under coercion,it is not a valid resignation.Coromondal Fertilizers Ltd., Vs. P.Venugopal 1986(1)LLJ 417 (A.P.H.C.;P.K.Ramchandra Iyer Vs. Union of India (1984)2 SCC 141(SC).It must be unconditional.Union of India Vs. Gopal Chandra Mishra AIR 1978 SC 694.
In view of the above,I will advice you to take your own decision in the matter in consultation with your husband.However,it will be better for you to continue there until you get an alternative job and to leave the present Organisation immediately thereafter.Under no circumstances, you should leave by submitting a forced resignation letter.That will give them an indulgence to repreat such tactis in future upon another innocent employee.It is an indication of unfair labour practise.You should only resign, if it is absolutely necessary and unavoidable to take care of your family.
With Best Wishes,
A.K.Maitra,M.Com;LL.B;A.C.A;A.C.S;M.I.M.A
Retd. C.S. & G.M.(Law)
National Fertilizers Ltd.
(A Mini-Ratna Central P.S.U.)

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra