Indian Law/Partition deed

Question
Sir,

This is with respect to partition deed which was executed in 1992 with respect to some portion of the property which my father inherited through his mother and was categorised as "self-owned" as per the family tree. My father was the only son and he has a sister.  The property came to him from his mother who in turn had got her share from her mother.  The partition deed which was executed in 1992 was amongst all of us comprising my father,mother, brothers (2 of us, me being elder) and sisters (2 of them). This deed was pledged against a bank loan and was not done with primarily intention of actually dividing any property but for some tax purpose, nevertheless it constitutes partition deed as all the parties (father, mother, brothers and sisters) have signed the same & it was registered as well. My father passed away in 2011. When he was alive, all of us(father, mother brothers and sisters) had a discussion on division of property. But somehow it did materilise into any action because of indifferences between brothers/sisters/mother and finally father also did not take active interest in closing it amicably. So this discussion was left open ended.  At that time, none of us, or atleast i was not aware of any partition deed that existed.  Though i had signed 1992 partition deed, i was quite young,  around 20 years and did not even know the purpose of such a deed, and maybe i signed it because i was asked to do so for saving tax, therefore i did not remember this at all.  So i was not consciously aware of it until i got a copy of all the docs from the bank where there is a crop loan and this deed was one of the docs which was pledged with the bank.  I am not sure if others (mother, brother, sisters) are aware.  We have also got into major differences now with my mother siding ways with my sisters and saying they would go for 1/5th share, though this was not the way it was discussed when my father was alive, at that time, no one had any major issues.  My mother got all the property transfers to her name as a natural transition after my father's death.  The "RTCs" are now in her name, we know that all of us have equal rights as per law. But we have come to a situation where sisters are not ready to come forward for a mutual understanding or going by what was agreed when my father was there.  They are married and well settled with good share from their husband's family property.  The 1992 deed talks about partition of 2 major properties - one a coffee estate which has been divided between me and my brother and the other is also a coffee estate (with low yield) which has been shared by my father and mother.  We also have other properties such as some wet land/dry land/house/land around house which are not part of this deed.  This deed mentions that sisters have been married as per their satisfaction and given all that they wanted and hence will not claim any share in any of the family property.  This deed has been sigend by all of us and registered.  

My query is what is the legal binding in our situation.  Do sisters still have a claim?  what happens to that portion of the property which is shared between my father and mother, will father's share go to mother fully or will it be 1/5 or between brothers and mother.  Sir, please guide so that i can initiate action appropriately as per law.

PB

Answer
If a valid partition deed was executed and registered,then the ownership of the property will be determined as per the said partition-deed.Moreover, since it was mortgaged till repayment of the loan,no transfer of interest in the said property could be made.Normally. prior to sanctioning the loan,the bank get the title-deed of the property proposed to be mortgaged through a lawyer.So apparently, it seems it was a validly executed partition-deed.
Subject to settlement of the loan,your mother can transfer her interest to anybody of her choice including your sisters.
In case , the partition deed was not registered, it will remain unenceforceable.In that case , after the death of your father , if he died intestate, it will devolve upon his legal heirs comprising your mother and her children including your sisters equally.However, for the said purpose,one of the beneficiaries will have to apply to the court for a Succession Certificate.
Further,if you have executed any Family Settlement Deed, it will remain valid subject to its registration.
In view of the above,please consult a lawyer for appropriate actions.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra