You are here:

Indian Law/Birth certificate


Sir spelling mistake of my parents in mybirth certificate.
I have birth certificate of my mother and death certificate of my father. Resident in Mumbai registered in mumbai municipal cor.Would like to know what paper work is necessary to carry at the muncipal office for correction of my birth certificate.

Macario: Thanks for your referral. You will have to follow the procedure prescribed by the concerned authorities who issued these certificates for the issue of certificates correcting names.  Suggest to meet with the authorities issuing these certificates with the proof of correct names of your mother and father (say ration card/ passport/ any other document showing correct name spelling) and request them to issue the certificates with names corrected. The authorities may ask you to give a written application and also perhaps an affidavit, which you should provide. Am reasonably sure that this will lead you to the desired result. Best Regards.

Indian Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Rajeev Dewal


Indian Law relating to Banking and Financial Transactions. Kindly read instructions on "Ask the Question" page before asking a question. Kindly note that the replies here are by way of general information and not to be taken as legal advice nor the same form any client attorney relationship.


Over 20 years as In-House Counsel and banker with International, Private and Public Sector banks in India.

Currently, Head- Legal, RBL Bank Limited, India (see web:


Awards and Honors
University Prize- LLB Examination, Distinction- CAIIB.

©2017 All rights reserved.