Indian Law/employer recovered notice period payment after mutually agreed resignation and last working.day

Question
I have submitted my resignation in my last company on 24th Dec 2012 and asked for relieving date.as 05-jan-2013. However they said, they will releive me on.27th Dec 2012.
Notice period as per the company policy is 2 months.

I have been informed verbally that my salary for the Dec 2012 will be paid as full & final settlement after.3.months. however after 3 months they have recovered large amount as notice pay and.did not pay.me anything and informed that my settlement.as zero.

Can.I take any legal.action against them for not giving me the one month salary?

Answer
Dear Karthikeyan
From your question, I can collect that the company had only informed you orally that they will pay the settlement in full. But legally as the notice period is 2 months and the same was not served by you, the company can adjust the money for your notice period. That is the company's right. Having said that, the company is not at liberty to withhold the entire amount. The amount that they can withhold can only be as per your employment contract, in normal cases salary for 2 months. Hence please consult your employment contract and ensure that the withholding is as per the same. Please understand that I a constrained to give you a limited answer as you have not given me the details of the terms and conditions of your employment contract.

Regards
Advocate Manoj Ambat

Indian Law

Advocate Manoj Ambat