You are here:

Indian Law/distribution of property


I am a working women. my husband is also working. my husband has one brother and one sister. we got married 4 years ago. my husband is working since 8 years. he used to give his salary at home before marriage. 7 years ago he purchased some plots by taking some money from home and some from his salary and bank loan. after marriage my entire salary was also invested in purchasing propery. my brother-in-law is also working snce 4 years but he is not giving any money at home.

now he is demanding the half of the entire property. can he claim so. my and my husband salary was totally invested in purchasing the property but he never contributed  in it. how could we divide the property, as he is saying that money from home is also invested and he is claiming half of the total property. can he claim part of my income after marriage and my husband's income as he is also working. my father-in-law's property can be divided equally. but should our income that we invested in property also be divided equally.

Dear Manju
You have not stated in whose name the property was bought. If the property is your husband's name, then his brother cannot claim any share. But if the property is joint in nature, then even if your husband and you have invested in the property, everybody will have a share over the property. It is immaterial if you have invested in the property as the same will become amalgamated with the joint property.  

Indian Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Advocate Manoj Ambat


I can answer any questions concerning Indian Law, that may include Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, family laws, consumer contracts, agreements personal laws including Hindu Laws and banking laws in India. I do not specialize in tax laws. DISCLAIMER: The profile and the answers given above by the expert are in conformity with the guidelines laid out by The Bar Council of India and is not intended as a means of Personal promotion nor as an Advertisement of services provided by this expert as an Advocate. The questions answered herein are free in nature and are in conformity of the legal aid programs of The Bar Council of India. Please also note that the answers given are specific to each question specified by the questioner and details provided by the same which may not reflect on the actual problems faced by the questioner. Hence it is advisable to personally consult a good Advocate/ Lawyer in your locality for solutions to your problems. The expert and this website does not undertake the accuracy of the answers herein given and the questioner's discretion is advised. FOR THE READERS: The answers given herein should not be considered as a general answer and are specific to the questions asked herein.The answers are only just path finders that leads you on the correct answers. It is always advisable to personally consult a lawyer for specific solutions to your problems


I am an Attorney/Advocate/Lawyer running independent practice having extensive practice in Criminal laws,Civil laws,Family laws,Divorce laws, Guardianship of children and minors,Consumer Laws and rights,Contracts and agreements,Property laws in Kerala,Labour laws,Medical negligence,personal laws including Hindu Laws, Tribal laws and rights and Motor Accident Claims for the past 13 years.

Having Independent practice and Senior Partner in Manoj Ambat (Law Firm).Also currently involved in Tribal Rights & Empowerment Movements in the hills of Attapady, Palakkad District, Kerala State giving free legal education and assistance as part of the Akhil Bharathiya Abhibhashaka Parishad legal assistance program along with associates

My blog ( Facebook ( Twitter (!/manojambat)

BA.L, LL.B, General Course in Intellectual Property Laws ( WIPO, Geneva)

Past/Present Clients
Individual clients and companies

©2017 All rights reserved.