You are here:

Indian Law/Name discrepancies in docs



I am Anshuma and I am unmarried. My ssc memo has my name as "Anshuma JAIN" d/o "Rajendra Kumar JAIN" and all other documents and ids as "Anshuma SANCHETHI" and most of my dad's documents carry his name as "Rajendra Kumar Sancheti". Now that I have recently joined MNC, I am asked for passport and when applied it was rejected as I applied for as "Anshuma SANCHETHI". Also, there is a surname spelling mismatch between my dad and me. I am confused as to what I should do so that i can get my passport.

If at all I have to change my name, I would wish to change it as "Anshuma JAIN". because, according to other docs, if i change to "Sanchethi", "Sanchethi" is itself not correct. It has to be "Sancheti".

Last query is, I have heard that in India, name change can be done by any person only once in his/her lifetime. Is it correct?

Dear Anshuma Sanchethi,

The difficulty in your case is there has to be correction/change in your name as well in your fathers' name.

If you need to be called Anshma Jain, your fathers' name is in conflict with his record and vice versa.

The best course is to file a declaration suit for the name correction and change by making the Corporation, the Board of Secondary School, Intermediate Board, Degree Board,  University and all concerned as respondents and seek a decree and judgment on the correct name.

As for the name change or correction, it is necessary in your case and you require to clear the conflicting names. This is not in practice that a person keeps changing his/her name and it is assumed that it has to be once.

A good lawyer on civil side will be best able to guide you for the process.

All the best
Javed Razack

Indian Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Javed Razack


The medium of allexperts in asking questions and soliciting answers is for people who are in real need of assistance on their grievance. I may not be able to accommodate request on opinions, suggestions and queries from people who desire answers for their academic interest. I do not solicit professional work through the medium of allexperts. I will not be answering questions which are not asked by genuine seekers on their issues and problems. Students, Junior Lawyers, Job seekers, Para Legal and non-serious persons are requested to abstain and refrain from raising queries so as to provide this platform for genuine people in availing the facility. Questions for any academic interest will be rejected. No client attorney relationship is established by answering your query(s). I do not accept requests for legal advice nor offer any specific legal advice through the medium of allexperts or its Web page. The answers and comments are for illustrative purposes only and should not be relied or regarded as legal advice. The answer to the grievance of the particular online query depends on the facts of the particular case and law applicable to it. Answers and information disseminated on this Web site is intended to be educational in nature and not intended to be a source of advertising or solicitation or be interpreted as legal advice. Users and viewers discretion is solicited and itís at your own risk. I will endeavor to answer questions on Indian Laws concerning Civil disputes on property, recovery or any other contractual obligation, Criminal disputes on Indian Penal Code, Negotiable Instruments Act, Company matters, Income Tax, Arbitration, Family and matrimonial issues, please ask.


Successful in acheiving what I regard job satisfaction.

Self Employed

Many Journals

Master in Law

Awards and Honors

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.