Indian Law/Name discrepancies in docs

Question
Hello,

I am Anshuma and I am unmarried. My ssc memo has my name as "Anshuma JAIN" d/o "Rajendra Kumar JAIN" and all other documents and ids as "Anshuma SANCHETHI" and most of my dad's documents carry his name as "Rajendra Kumar Sancheti". Now that I have recently joined MNC, I am asked for passport and when applied it was rejected as I applied for as "Anshuma SANCHETHI". Also, there is a surname spelling mismatch between my dad and me. I am confused as to what I should do so that i can get my passport.

If at all I have to change my name, I would wish to change it as "Anshuma JAIN". because, according to other docs, if i change to "Sanchethi", "Sanchethi" is itself not correct. It has to be "Sancheti".

Last query is, I have heard that in India, name change can be done by any person only once in his/her lifetime. Is it correct?

Answer
Dear Anshuma Sanchethi,

The difficulty in your case is there has to be correction/change in your name as well in your fathers' name.

If you need to be called Anshma Jain, your fathers' name is in conflict with his record and vice versa.

The best course is to file a declaration suit for the name correction and change by making the Corporation, the Board of Secondary School, Intermediate Board, Degree Board,  University and all concerned as respondents and seek a decree and judgment on the correct name.

As for the name change or correction, it is necessary in your case and you require to clear the conflicting names. This is not in practice that a person keeps changing his/her name and it is assumed that it has to be once.

A good lawyer on civil side will be best able to guide you for the process.

All the best
Javed Razack

Indian Law

Javed Razack