Indian Law/Service Bond

Question
QUESTION: Sir,
I have a joined a PSU on Jan, 2011 then I have signed a service bond for 5 years amounting 3 lakhs(amount is proportional to the number of years served).After 1 year I was regularised.
In our Bond notice period was not mentioned and not even in offer or appointment letter. But in our company's HR policy notice period is  mentioned of 3 months. I have got another job offer can you say whether I have to serve notice period if I leave the company and pay bond money?
Awaiting your quick response.

ANSWER: If it is mentioned in your service contract that you shall be governed by the service rules of the company issued from time to time,you are definitely governed by the same.So,your appointment letter is to be read alongwith the service rules of the company.Accordingly,you take appropriate decision in the matter in consultation with a lawyer.You may also seek extension of joing time from your new employer.Even if you have signed a service-bond,you should not agree to pay any amount from your own pocket.Such bonds are one sided contract executed under compulsion and it has no validity in the eye of law except in case of recovery of reasonable expenses like actual training expenses.As per section 27 of the Contract Act,all agreements in restraint of any profession is void.It also violates Article 19 of our Constitution,which guarantees freedom of professions to all individuals.

QUESTION: Sir,
     Thank You very much for your quick response.I will get back to you after checking my Appointment letter thoroughly.

ANSWER: Unless you get the release order,your new employer may not allow you to join.So best course would be to discuss to seek extension of joining time by three months and serve the notice in consultation with a lawyer.

QUESTION: Sir,
In my appointment letter it is mentioned that "You are governed under service rules of company from time to time".In the service bond I have signed for an amount of 3 lakhs for a period of 4 years.The bond states
"if candidate leaves service before expiry of one year-actual training expenses incurred subject to max of 3 lakhs"
"if candidate leaves after one yearbut before completing 4 years then proportionately less by 1/4 of training expenses inurred  for every year of service completed to a max of 3 lakhs"
I am coming under the second clause.
Sir, I have not undergone any external training then how the training cost is to be estimated?
Also under provident fund a handsome amount has been accumulated.Can I claim that amount if I do not pay service bond?Is that amount calculated by the company adjustable I mean bargained?

Answer
As I have already explained to you that service-bonds are one sided contract executed under compulsion and it has no validity in the eye of law except in case of recovery of reasonable expenses like actual training expenses.As per section 27 of the Contract Act,all agreements in restraint of any profession is void.It also violates Article 19 of our Constitution,which guarantees freedom of professions to all individuals.Training expenses to be recovered against service-bond means substantial training expenses incurred in providing training to an employee e.g. training expenses borne by the company for providing training to an employee abroad.In the instant case ,company has merely provided inhouse-training to an employee.Hence. it does not come under the category of substantial training expenses.Therefore,company has no right to recover it.Further,as per the provisions of the CPF Act,no adjustyment/attachment/recovery can be made against PF dues.It is the fundamental right of an employee to claim his PF dues after his retirement from service.
In view of the above,it is suggested that you serve a legal notice to release you as per your notice and settle your legal dues.Pl. also threaten them that otherwise you shall be compelled to take suitable legal action against them.  

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra