Indian Law/Left the COmpany due to medical Reasons

Question
Dear Sir,

Greetings!

I am 34 years old and working with a Nagpur Based Organization as Area Manager - Delhi/NCR and on 19th July, 2013, I went to Punjab and had an heart attack and the same was informed to my head office by my wife but no response have been received from them and now when I am asking about my reimbursements along with the salary which they deducted, they are saying that I need to give my resignation first then they will see.

Kindly help! What should I do?

Waiting for your response.

Regards

Answer
Leave is not a matter of right but fully at the discretion of your employer to sanction/reject it.It is governed by the HR Policy of the company.Normally in most of the organisations,an employee is not allowed to remain absent for more than 3 days without prior intimation.If he does so, he is treated as on un-authorised leave.However, there may be exceptions in case of genuine problems like your case.They should have sympathetically considered your case because of the sudden heart attack.But you should have subsequently submitted personnally an intimation about the said incident in addition to earlier one sent by your wife.
Resignation is a voluntary act of the parties and hence forced resignation is no resignation.
In view of the above,You may inintially submit a very well drafted representation,preferably through a lawyer to sanction you Medical Leave attaching a copy of the Doctor's certificate.
If they do not listen to you,you may serve a legal notice to be followed by a court case.However,the said action will be time consuming and expensive.So best course would be to try for a job elsewhere and then resign.
Please take appropriate action in consultation with a lawyer.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra