Indian Law/Ancestral Property - Will and Legal Heir

Question
Dear Sir, I am born and breed in Malaysia but my parents were from India and later became Malaysian citizens. My dad passed away in last Dec 2013. My dad’s family was in the midst of partitioning the ancestral properties in Thrissur, Kerala when my dad passed away.  My late dad had left behind a Will for his property matters in India. The Will was prepared on ‘normal’ paper (not on Stamp Paper) and was prepared by a lawyer in Kochi, Kerala. My late dad had signed the Will and had 2 of his friends to be his witnesses as well. My mum and I opened the Will after my dad’s death and found that he had named me as his beneficiary for his properties in India. When I mentioned about this Will to the Sub-Registrar at the Land Office in Kerala, I was told that Will is unacceptable as it was not endorsed or registered!
Later, when contacted by my relations in India, I was told that since my dad is no longer around, my mum and I will be the legal heirs to my late dad’s share of property.  To prove our claims as legal heir, I was also told to bring along a “legal heir certificate” from Malaysia. When I checked with a lawyer in Malaysia, I was told that there is no such certificate issued by the High Court here. Can my mother and I produce our marriage certificate and birth certificate respectively as evidence as legal heir?
In such a situation, what would be the best options you suggest? Thanks in advance and hoping to hear from you soon.

Answer
Registration of the WILL is not mandatory.It only helps to get a certified true copy of the WILL from the court, in case the original one is misplaced.However,it is necessary to get the WILL probated/certified by the court for the purpose of enforcement.In case, a person dies without making any WILL,then the property is distributed amongst his legal heirs as per the Succession Certificate is issued by the court.In the instant case, since your father died after making a WILL,properties both ancestral and self-acquired left by him will be distributed as per his last desire mentioned in it.However, for the said purpose, any of the beneficiaries including yourself can apply to the court having jurisdiction in the matter for probate of the WILL.After hearing all the concerned parties.The court will issue the necessary order.In case,the WILL is declared invalid by the court,you can apply for the Succession certificate.In both the cases, you have definite right to get your due share in the property.In the former case, as desired by your late father in his WILL and in the second case, equally with your mother and brothers and sisters,if any.For further details, please consult a suitable lawyer on property matters.To prove yur legal heir certificate, you can give an affidavit before the court,if it is at all necessary.Otherwise, your educational certificates will be sufficient documents to prove it and that should not be any hindrance.Apparently, you have a very strong case and you shouldd fight for the same.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra