Indian Law/Divorce

Question
If a marriage takes place between an Indian Citizen (wife, Sikh religion) and a U.S Citizen (husband, Sikh religion) and the Divorce has been taken (all proceedings complete) by the U.S citizen in New York, Would the divorce be applicable in India? Does the Indian Citizen (wife) need to take divorce in India also.
Thanks.

Answer
Dear Suman
You have not stated where the marriage has taken place. Assuming that the marriage took place in India, a decree of Divorce from an American court is not enough. The Divorce becomes valid when the same is pronounced by a competent Indian Court  

Indian Law

Advocate Manoj Ambat