You are here:

Indian Law/Succession act


In response to my query about bank a/c of my deceased father and mother,bank wants to have proof that I am their legal heir. We are 2 sisters and one brother. I am legatee in their Wills. Brother was executor in father's Will. There is no executor in mother's Will.
Am I legal heir without or with Will? What proof will satisfy the bank?
2. Both father and mother's Will are under challenge in civil court.
3. Brother applied for probate of father's Will. Application was dismissed as non-maintainable, since probate is not required in UP. This Will has not been proved or disproved.

Dear Kumud
You are a legal heir as far as Hindu Succession Act is concerned. But as the veracity of both the wills are under challenge,  there is nothing more that can be done at this time. You can apply to get a succession certificate in your name in the court to transfer the locker in your name.

Please understand that I have given my advice as per the details given by you which is not sufficient to give acomplete reply. I would advice you to consult a civil lawyer in your locality who will be able to help you in detail and find a solution to your problems  

Indian Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Advocate Manoj Ambat


I can answer any questions concerning Indian Law, that may include Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, family laws, consumer contracts, agreements personal laws including Hindu Laws and banking laws in India. I do not specialize in tax laws. DISCLAIMER: The profile and the answers given above by the expert are in conformity with the guidelines laid out by The Bar Council of India and is not intended as a means of Personal promotion nor as an Advertisement of services provided by this expert as an Advocate. The questions answered herein are free in nature and are in conformity of the legal aid programs of The Bar Council of India. Please also note that the answers given are specific to each question specified by the questioner and details provided by the same which may not reflect on the actual problems faced by the questioner. Hence it is advisable to personally consult a good Advocate/ Lawyer in your locality for solutions to your problems. The expert and this website does not undertake the accuracy of the answers herein given and the questioner's discretion is advised. FOR THE READERS: The answers given herein should not be considered as a general answer and are specific to the questions asked herein.The answers are only just path finders that leads you on the correct answers. It is always advisable to personally consult a lawyer for specific solutions to your problems


I am an Attorney/Advocate/Lawyer running independent practice having extensive practice in Criminal laws,Civil laws,Family laws,Divorce laws, Guardianship of children and minors,Consumer Laws and rights,Contracts and agreements,Property laws in Kerala,Labour laws,Medical negligence,personal laws including Hindu Laws, Tribal laws and rights and Motor Accident Claims for the past 13 years.

Having Independent practice and Senior Partner in Manoj Ambat (Law Firm).Also currently involved in Tribal Rights & Empowerment Movements in the hills of Attapady, Palakkad District, Kerala State giving free legal education and assistance as part of the Akhil Bharathiya Abhibhashaka Parishad legal assistance program along with associates

My blog ( Facebook ( Twitter (!/manojambat)

BA.L, LL.B, General Course in Intellectual Property Laws ( WIPO, Geneva)

Past/Present Clients
Individual clients and companies

©2017 All rights reserved.