Indian Law/Regarding Relieving Letter

Question
Hi

My company is not issuing me relieving letter they are asking me to submit my original passport for checking purpose though my permit is expired in 31 January.
I have served full two months notice period and my manager has also relieved me in my exit form, KT is done i have all these proofs. Now in last working day they are forcing me to submit the passport and it is our policy to check associates permit as we do not maintain employee records.

Kindly advise...

Thanks & Regards,

Answer
Dear Ravi,

There is no law to provide for the original passport for checking purpose and if your company is soliciting such requirement, it is against the law.

In the context of your issue, you send an email to the HR and the Management about the facts and also serving two months notice period, besides the compliance of the knowledge transfer to the new hire or the manager that you need your relieving letter and all benefits accrued during the course of employment.  If they do not reply or give your relieving, you may approach the concern Police Station and lodge a complaint of harassment and withholding of the relieving letter.

A good lawyer on service matters will be best able to guide you in your problem and you need to consult before taking legal recourse in this matter.

All the best
Javed Razack

Indian Law

Javed Razack