Indian Law/Live in relationship rights.

Question
"Dear Sir,

This is Deven Age 40 from Mumbai.

My mother passed away in 2005. My father married to a widow.She too died in Feb 2014.Now my father age 69 yrs wants to enter in to Maitri karar and want to bring 60 year divorcee with him.

We have family run Pvt.ltd. Company. Where my father my elder brother and I have equal stake.Dad has properties in his name at two places near Mumbai.

How do I react to this situation. I want to safeguard mine and my brother's interest.

My question is ;

1) What is legal validity of this maitri karar in India.
2) Is this sort of live in relationship.
3)If they later covert it into marriage relationship what are the consequences.
4)Is she entitled to any property or share in my Dad's name.
5)He says he will buy another flat somewhere just for her in case he leaves us before her.
6) What complications can arise in case my dad leaves us.
7) Now my dad is staying in flat jointly bought by three of us i.e Dad and we two brothers and have equal shares.
8) Will it be possible for us to take possession of this flat and ask lady to vacate in absence of my Dad.
9) Are there any legal remedies to protect interest of we 2 brothers before this karar takes place.My dad will be more than ready to agree whatever may be suggested to him.He simply doesn't want to stay alone.

Please advice. Thanking you in advance.

Deven"

Answer
Dear Deven

1) Maithri karar in itself is not valid. It is only an evidence that both the parties had been living together. But it does not have any legal sanctity.

2) It is live in relationship.

3) If they both get married at a later date, this lady gets a right over your father's property as his wife.

This lady will get a share over the flat if your father marry her. If it remains a live in relationship, then she does not derive any right over your father's property. You will be able to take possession of the flat if the lady is only in a live in relationship. The karar in itself being illegal, you do not have any problem with it and no safe guard is required. What is required is that your father should not write any will giving his share to the lady.  

Indian Law

Advocate Manoj Ambat