Indian Law/Penalty For Less notice served and F&F settlement

Question
Hi ,

I used to work for a private ltd. Company which I left more than six and half months back. They have not yet cleared my F&F settlement though NOC and Relieving letter has been given to me.There was clause in my offer letter which stated " In case you wish to resign from the company , you are expected to serve three months notice periods or three month salary in lieu of notice period".The salary used to be combination of Basic , Special allowance , Fuel allowance , LTA , Medical etc. My questions are
1. Is the deduction of salary will be on Basic or gross ?
2. I have served 1 month notice , so will they penalize for 2 months salary?

They have also hold my more than 3 months salary. Please advice how to proceed.

Prasenjit

Answer
If as per your terms of your engagement,the contract could be terminated by either party by serving three months notice or pay in lieu thereof,your employer can recover shortfall in the notice period against your outstanding dues.Pay for the purpose of notice-pay varies from organisation to organisation but normally it is calculated on basic-pay only. Therefore,it will depend upon your service rules.
They are legally bound to make full and final settlement of your dues.Since they are delaying it,you may serve a legal notice threatening to take legal action,if they are not settled immediately.You can also lodge a compliant to the State Labour Secy.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra