Indian Law/condition of one year non tranferability afer cessesion of job.

dear sir..

i am a diploma holder in electronics and communication engineering..
recently i have engaged in a job as a technical representative in a office automation company. but i signed my appointment lettr after joining date.

and in the letter hr mentioned one legal condition regarding my termination.
firstly i could not understand the point and blindly signed the letter.
but now worried about my career...
here is the lines of  conditions.....
" In view of the fact that information gathered by personnel of the company during their tenure with us can be used to our competetors, it is necessary for us to stipulate the following.....
" In the (hopefully unlikely) event of the cessation of your service with our company for any reason whatsever, you shall not take up employment or associate yourself in any manner with any organisation involved directly or indirectly with the manufactur and/or marketing of products/systems similar  to ours, in any part of india, for a minimum period of one year following the cessation of your tenure with our organisation.
the penalty for violation of this clause would be the total payments made towards salary and allowances during the last six months of service."

As per section 27 of the Contract Act,all agreements in restraint of any trade,profession or business are void.It also violates Article 19 of our Constitution,which guarantees freedom of professions to all individuals.The courts in India have held in its various judgments that in the event of breach of contract by the employee, the employer shall be entitled to recover only the actual loss suffered by it.Damages are calculated as per the provisions of section 73 and 74 of the Indian Contract Act. Even if the agreement stipulates payment of any penalty amount in the event of breach, it does not mean that the employer shall be entitled to receive the stipulated amount in full; the courts shall determine the reasonable amount of compensation to be paid based on the period of service rendered,terms and conditions of service etc.
References of leading case laws on the relevant matter are given below:
1 Central Inland Water Transport Corporation v Brojonath Ganguly, (1986)IILLJ171SC

2 Niranjan Shankar Golikari v The Century Spinning and Manufacturing Company Ltd, AIR 1967 SC 1098

3 Nandganj Sihori Sugar Company Ltd v Badrinath Dixit, & Ors, AIR1991 SC 1525

4.Sicpa India Limited v. Shri Manas Pratim Deb

In view of the above,you have nothing to worry about.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra

Contract Law,Companies Act,Sale of Goods Act,Partnership Act,Negotiable Instument Acts,Constitution of India,Arbitration Act,Consumer Protection Act,Maternity Act,Payment of Gratuity Act,Payment of Bonus Act,Shops & Establishment Act etc.The answer to the grievance of the particular online query depends on the facts of the particular case and law applicable to it.However,my comments relating to the various queries raised through the "All Experts" should not be treated as legal advices and should not at all be relied upon.I do not accept any responsibility for them.They will only give you some ideas about the probable merits of your cases.Ultimate actions/decisions in the matter may please be taken in consultation with the Legal Experts in the relevant fields.My purpose of giving the comments is to increase my own knowledge on the subjects and share it with others.It is purely of academic interest to me. I strongly feel the more knowledge we share,the more we shall be able to learn because there is neither any age nor any end to learning.

I have experience of dealing with matters relating to holdings of board/general meetings,maintenance of statutory registers,filing of necessary returns with the RoC,obtaining licenses for import,replies to Parliament Questions,dealing with the Parliamentary Committees,appearing before various courts to defend my employers,filing affidavits/counter -affidavits,preparing written statements/re-joinder,giving advice to management on complicated legal issues,preparation,drafting and vetting of contracts etc. I have more than 35 years of experiences to deal with the Company Law and Other Commercial Laws of leading Organisations in the country both in Public as well as Private Sectors.

Member,Inst. of Chartered Accountants of India Member,Inst. of Company Secretaries of India; Member,Bar Council of India Member,All India Management Association Member,Delhi Management Association Ex. Vice-Chairman,Durgapore Chapter of the I.C.A.I. Expert ,CA Club India Expert ,Lawyers Club India Expert,AllExperts Ex. Faculty ,I.C.S.I as well as I.C.W.A of India Retd. Co. Secy. & G.M.(Law)/NFL(A Mini-Ratna A Schedule Central P.S.U.),New Delhi Ex.V.P.(Secretarial Dept.),Jaiprakash Associates Ltd. Ex. Co. Secy.,MAMC(A Govt. of India Enterprise),Durgapore

Obtained ''A'' Grade Certificate in the Parliamentary Procedure from the Secy. General of Parliament in 1994-95.It was in connection with a training course conducted by the BPE for PSU Executives.

I am presently working as a Company Secretary in Old World Hospitality Pvt. Ltd.located in Delhi.It is engaged in Hospitality Industry.It has Units in India and abroad.It has been given the responsibility to look after operation & Management of ''India Habetat Centre'' located at Lodhi Road,New Delhi.