Indian Law/Allownces are not paid

Question
QUESTION: I tendered my resignation on 24 June 2013 with one month notice ( as per company rules) and continued in office to serve the notice period.

On 11 July 2013, I received the reliving letter dated 10 July 2013 which informed that my resignation has been accepted and relieved from 24 June 2013 itself.

The company paid the basic salary only in lieu of month notice. They did not paid ALLOWNCES(HRA/mdedical/PF etc.)  for the period 24 June 2013 to 11 July 2013 though I was present and working in office.

When I requested them to pay allownces for the period I served ( 24 June - 11 July 2013) they gave the reason that I did not work in office.

The question is 1. If my claim for allownces for the period 24 June 2013 to 11 July 2013 is valid ?

2. If the company can withhold the allownces on the allegation of not working  whcih is not true ?

ANSWER:  If you have served the requisite notice as per your terms of engagement,your employer is bound to make full payment to you.They cannot refuse to pay allowances on the plea that you did not work.Have they issued any notice for not working properly?Even if they have done it,withot holding a formal inquiry they cannot withhold your pay.
Accordingly,please serve a legal notice to them for the above.

QUESTION: Is there any other option availiable than the legal notice. The amount is only Rs. 30000/- for which expenses and time required is much more for going into court.

Answer
You can also make a complaint before the Grievance redressal Scheme of the Central Govt. through their site in the net.
You are entitled to full pay for the period you worked there after making necessary adjustment for shortage in notice pay.
Without holding formal inquiry,an employer cannot withhold pay of any employee.It is against the principle of natural justice.
Merely serving a legal notice is not at all expensive.Rather,it will creat pressure upon them to release the payment.

Indian Law

Arun Kumar Maitra