Industrial Health and Safety/help

I work in a clothes store and upstairs there is a warehouse. To get into and to get out this warehouse you must go trough a door which is always closed by a electromechanical system and you must show your finger to get the door opened. It is due the workers sometimes steal clothes from this warehouse. What if there is a fire ? what if it does not work properly? What if  worker suffers from a claustrophobic attack? It is supposed that when the electricity fails the door gets liberated immediately, but there could be a fire and also a failing system..
What is your opinion about this antithieft system?
Thank you

Hello Aurax,
I apologize for the delayed response. I was on vacation all last week and did not check email. So to answer your question it seems like you are asking my opinion regarding the antitheft system as it pertains to employee safety. You certainly bring up a good point about emergencies which are not considered normal operation and thus the system as described could embed existing out the store.
I would recommend you check with your local fire department regarding emergency life safety procedures to see if there is an issue. The main thought that comes to mind is a component that should already be part of the system. If not it may be an area of follow up. There should be an emergency over -ride button that allows an employee to bypass the system in the event of an emergency. Normally this would trigger an audible alarm and can only be shut down be designated personnel.  So if you do have this system it may be just a case of employee education.

Industrial Health and Safety

Wayne Adams

I can answer general questions in the areas of HAZWOPER, respiratory protection, cave-in protection, confine space entry, DOT Fleet Safety and RCRA Hazardous Waste Management. Behavior Based Safety and organizational development are also topics in which I can provide input.

I currently work as a Corporate Health and Safety Manager for a GeoTechnical Engineering firm responsible for program development and training technical staff (engineers, geologist and biologist) in OSHA HAZWOPER radiation safety and industrial hygiene practices to ensure safety and compliance. My past experience includes working as a Senior Environmental, Health, Safety and Security Manager over an 8 State Region responsible for EHS&S development, interacting with regulatory agencies, auditing wastewater discharge permits, SPCC plans, hazardous waste management, and air emissions compliance. Additional work has included responsibility for EHS management and development of projects within the industrial and municipal sectors to include water and wastewater, microelectronics, resin regeneration, activated carbon manufacturing and hazardous waste treatment facilities throughout a 10-State Region and Western Canada.

- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) - Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals (AHMP)

- M.S. Health and Safety, Columbia Southern University, Orange, AL. - Graduate Certificate Environmental Management, Columbia Southern University, Orange, AL. - MA, Organizational Leadership, Chapman University, Orange, California. - Graduate Certificate Human Resources, Chapman University, Orange, California. - BS, Workforce Education and Development, Southern Illinois University.

- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) - Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) - Registered Environmental Assessor CAL-EPA - Underground Tank Site Assessor WA