Industrial Health and Safety/proper disposal of Perchloric acid titration waste

I work in a laboratory. I do Assay of sodium benzoate, acesulfame potassium, potssium sorbate, vitamin B1, niacinmide,etc. which all make use of 0.1N perchloric acid as titrant and crystal violet TS as indicator.  Diluents are usually glacial acetic acid alone and sometimes in combination with 96% formic acid or acetic anhydride or benzene.  Aside from seeking a waste transporter, what is the safest way to dispose wastes of these kind of laboratory work?

I will have to qualify my answer as it depends on regional or national regulations. There are some lab waste you have identified that can be diluted or neutralized to a pH 7 and can be flushed down the drain. Spent titration solutions for example may be flushed down the drain if diluted with plenty of water. Acetic Anhydride in small amounts may be acceptable for sanitary sewer disposal after being neutralized to pH 7. Dilute formic acid can be flushed down a sink with a large quantity of water, unless local rules prohibit this. However, larger amounts should be neutralized before disposal. Benzene is another issue altogether. Within the  benzene is a Listed Waste and cannot be disposed of down the sewer. Also, if it is mixed with other wastes then the mixture becomes a hazardous waste and must be properly disposed. So the best choice if possible is the keep the hazardous waste separate from the non-hazardous.  A “reference only” source that may be helpful is All of this is of course depends upon your regional or national regulations.  

Industrial Health and Safety

Wayne Adams

I can answer general questions in the areas of HAZWOPER, respiratory protection, cave-in protection, confine space entry, DOT Fleet Safety and RCRA Hazardous Waste Management. Behavior Based Safety and organizational development are also topics in which I can provide input.

I currently work as a Corporate Health and Safety Manager for a GeoTechnical Engineering firm responsible for program development and training technical staff (engineers, geologist and biologist) in OSHA HAZWOPER radiation safety and industrial hygiene practices to ensure safety and compliance. My past experience includes working as a Senior Environmental, Health, Safety and Security Manager over an 8 State Region responsible for EHS&S development, interacting with regulatory agencies, auditing wastewater discharge permits, SPCC plans, hazardous waste management, and air emissions compliance. Additional work has included responsibility for EHS management and development of projects within the industrial and municipal sectors to include water and wastewater, microelectronics, resin regeneration, activated carbon manufacturing and hazardous waste treatment facilities throughout a 10-State Region and Western Canada.

- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) - Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals (AHMP)

- M.S. Health and Safety, Columbia Southern University, Orange, AL. - Graduate Certificate Environmental Management, Columbia Southern University, Orange, AL. - MA, Organizational Leadership, Chapman University, Orange, California. - Graduate Certificate Human Resources, Chapman University, Orange, California. - BS, Workforce Education and Development, Southern Illinois University.

- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) - Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) - Registered Environmental Assessor – CAL-EPA - Underground Tank Site Assessor – WA