Industrial Health and Safety/Spark generation

Question
What is the chnaces of spark generation when a Galvanised Iron rubs against a Mild steel or for that matter any other material.

Answer
Hi , because zinc is soft the chances of a spark is low, but that depends on the amount of friction and the thickness of the galvanisation, harder more brittle materials are more likely to cause sparks when under friction, so my answer would be there is a low chance of a spark. However if the friction is high and continuous the galvanised coating may rub off exposing the iron, but even this would be a low risk of a spark, heat would be generated before a spark.

Industrial Health and Safety

Graham Couch