Industrial Health and Safety/ladder-related injuries

Question
Problem Statement
Problem Statement  
QUESTION: Hello Mr. Major my name is Ethan Andow and I am a student at Chapin High School located in El Paso, Texas doing a project for engineering that is very imperative to my graduation. I was wondering if you would be able to assist me through the duration of the project, giving me feedback and help? My problem that I am hoping to solve is ladder-related injuries.

ANSWER: Ethan,

Sure, I would be glad to offer some assistance.  I can't really tell from your attachment what the problem is, exactly.  So let me know a few more details, and how I can help.

Steve Major

QUESTION: Thank you very much for wanting to help! My project is for an Engineering Design Development course at my high school, we have to find an engineering based problem, basically something that we can fix or invent. The problem that I chose was ladder-related injuries, this is a common problem not only in work environments but also in non-occupational settings such as homes. I was thinking of a belt that secures you to the ladder? If you have any ideas and information please let me know! Thank you for your time.

Answer
Ethan,

The ladder safety belt has been done before (just Google "ladder safety belt"), but maybe you have an idea for an alternate design.  One problem with a feature like a belt is getting people to actually use it, which is certainly as aspect of design that is often overlooked, and that you may want to solve.

Another way you may wish to go is to address people who over-reach, particularly while on step ladders.  OSHA describes the belt buckle rule, so perhaps a prominent graphic imprinted on the ladder that shows this could be effective.

--Steve  

Industrial Health and Safety

Stephen Major (Principal--Lakeland Environmental)