Industrial Health and Safety/MHE Safety

Question
Trying to put together a safety alert for Stock Selectors. Had an employee lift multiple pallets of material and move it at an elevated level,  There was stock protruding from racks which was ultimately struck causing the load to fall back pinning the leg of the operator causing a break in the bone.  Is their guidance as to how many pallets should be transported at any given time?

Answer
Jim,

OSHA is a good place to find general forklift information. Try this site:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/pit/

In your particular case it seems that the load was top-heavy and could not handle the impact with the protrusion.  Operators need to look at the path of vertical travel prior to lifting, and load in such a way as to avoid any chance of tipping under normal conditions.

Without more specific information about the circumstances of this mishap, I can't provide more specific guidance.

Steve

Industrial Health and Safety

Stephen Major (Principal--Lakeland Environmental)