Infertility/Fertility/Will my progesterone come back?

I had been taking 1 vitex daily for my estrogen dominance for 2 months, during which my OCD came back and I had to start taking Cipralex. After 2 months of taking 1 of each pill daily, I became worried as I had missed 2 periods, and my hair was falling out in droves. I stopped the Cipralex and increased the vitex to get my progesterone levels back up, but now, 2 more months later, most of my hair is gone and my periods have been short, erratic and the blood looks congealed and brown, instead of the bright red liquid you'd expect. Will my cycle go back to normal? How long will it take for this to happen? What should I do?

Hello Navi from Canada,

I can't answer your question completely because it would require a more extensive evaluation than the information you've given me here.

I strongly suggest that you go see a good Gynecologist.  Your hormones are completely out of balance and that is the major problem.  Vitex will not help.  You need real medication.  You should undergo a complete hormonal evaluation and treatment determination made based on the results.  Hair can come back if treated appropriately and in a timely matter.  The longer you go, however, the higher the chances that the follicles will atrophy (shrink away) and not be reversible.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco