Infertility/Fertility/Not able to concieve

Hi, Me & my husband are TTC since2.5 yrs now but nevr successful. I did my Follicle test 2 mnths and due to hormonal imbalance was put on Novelon for 2 mtnhs then out of frustration stopped visit the doc. Now my husband did the Semen analysis. Hs count is 40ml and liquidation time was 20mins. Motility however was 30% progressive & 70% non motile & morphology or something is 19% normal. So is this normal & can i concieve naturally? Is there something to be bothered about. ALso I really dont knw if I have ever concieved in the past & had an early miscarriage. Can the Gyn/ob actually by doing an exam tell me if I have ever concieved or not at all?

Thanks for your time.

Hello Shalet from India,

I presume that the count is 40 million/ml and not "40 ml".  If that is the case, the only abnormality is the motility (30%) but since the total motile count is 12 million, that should be sufficient for achieving a pregnancy.  If you were my patient, however, I would probably recommend that you consider IUI treatment.

In terms of your second question, if a miscarriage occurred in the past, then it is too late to determine if you were pregnant or not.

Finally, I think that part of your problem is that you have not undergone a complete infertility evaluation so that not every part of the reproductive system has been checked.  There are 10 tests that are done to check a woman's fertility, of which the semen analysis is only one.  I would strongly recommend that you see an infertility specialist, NOT your general doctor or general Ob/Gyn doctor, if you can.  An infertility specialist can be found by asking if the doctor does IVF, because only an infertility subspecialist can do IVF.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco