Infertility/Fertility/bacterial infection in vagina

Question
Hello Doctor,

I am currently 15 week 5 days pregnant.

I got a letter from my doctor saying that "vaginal culture indicates the skin bacteria had entered into the vagina. This probably happened with placing the progestrone. "

She prescribed a prescription for antibiotics 5 days(AMPICILLIN 250 MG)

I had visited my OB in Oct 16. when I observed some very little yellow discharge. She examined my vagina and said it looks fine to her. Just to be on safe side, she said she will order a vaginal culture.

My biggest concern is, due to lack of information/miscommunication, I wasted 2 solid weeks with out taking antibiotics.

As i got the letter in mail only yesterday.I just started the antibiotic today

I also have hypothyroidism and presently taking Levoxyl 125 mcg

TSH:0.273
T4:1.16
Postive antibodies

I got pregnant after 5 years struggle. So Iam so worried about the delay in using antibiotic for bacteria

Please advice!

Answer
Hello Mani from the U.S.,

Because you don't mention what the culture showed, I can't give you a proper answer to your question.  However, Ampicillin is an innocuous antibiotic so I would recommend that you follow your doctor' advice.

As to the consequences of not taking the antibiotic soon enough, that part of the question cannot be answered.  You should definitely ask your doctor why there was such a delay.  Cultures usually only take up to 3 days to return and if this infection was important enough to treat #and not a contaminant#, then why didn't your doctor's office contact you sooner.  The biggest risk from a vaginal infection is that the problems of premature rupture of membranes, chorioamnionitis #infection of the placenta# or preterm labor have been attributed to infections.

Talk to your doctor.  Part of their job is to keep in communication with you!

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG