Infertility/Fertility/Painful ovulation

Hello, I am writing from Huntington Beach, Ca.

I've always had painful ovulation but I guess that is very common, and the pain usually subsides quickly so it's not a big deal. My cycle is very hard to keep track so I rarely try unless I see a pattern lasting longer than 2 months. I skip a few times a year. I believe it may be from being so active and anemic? Following a calendar has proven to be unreliable in my case and I have had to train myself to watch for body signals to tell me. Reason for me telling you my history is that I want to be clear that I have had to rely on being very aware of what my body feels so I know when I am ovulating and how I feel the day before I start my period so I don't have any embarrassing accidents. I know what it feels like when I am ovulating, I can't really deny the pain.  

My question for you is would it be possible to ovulate 2 times during one cycle, a week apart? My cycle has been fairly regular the past 3 months. I'm currently on a 29 day cycle. I felt the mittlesmirtz on the day I was supposed to ovulate. It is now 8 days later and I am feeling the same pain of an egg being released. Is that possible? If it isn't possible, what does it mean?

Thank you!

Hello Alaina from the U.S.(California),

No, you can't ovulate twice within the same month.  It is possible that the second pain may be due to a cyst formed after ovulation (corpus luteum cyst) and that cyst is causing pain because it is large or because it bled a little.  There is no way to know for sure without some testing, such as an ultrasound.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco