Infertility/Fertility/Can I get pregnant ?

If I have Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and I am on birth control is there any way I couldn't pregnant? What are chances ?

Hello Arielle from the U.S. (Pennsylvania),

Yes you can get pregnant and you would have the same chances of a normal woman your age as long as there are no other problems.

The problem with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism is that the hypothalamus/pituitary axis is not working so that FSH and LH are not produced.  These are the hormones that stimulate the ovary to ovulate.  Fortunately, we have those hormones, which are what we used for ovulation induction, IUI and IVF.  You need to use a medication that has both the FSH and LH such as Menopur, Pergonal, Repronex, or use one that is FSH and one that is LH.  Some doctors will substitute HCG for the LH since it is an analogue.  You would take these injections on a daily basis and the dose adjusted as needed to stimulate the production and growth of a follicle.  Once the follice reaches the appropriate size for ovulation (18-24 mms), an HCG injection is given to trigger ovulation.  You would then commence intercourse or undergo IUI.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco