Infertility/Fertility/Can I get pregnant ?

Question
If I have Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and I am on birth control is there any way I couldn't pregnant? What are chances ?

Answer
Hello Arielle from the U.S. (Pennsylvania),

Yes you can get pregnant and you would have the same chances of a normal woman your age as long as there are no other problems.

The problem with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism is that the hypothalamus/pituitary axis is not working so that FSH and LH are not produced.  These are the hormones that stimulate the ovary to ovulate.  Fortunately, we have those hormones, which are what we used for ovulation induction, IUI and IVF.  You need to use a medication that has both the FSH and LH such as Menopur, Pergonal, Repronex, or use one that is FSH and one that is LH.  Some doctors will substitute HCG for the LH since it is an analogue.  You would take these injections on a daily basis and the dose adjusted as needed to stimulate the production and growth of a follicle.  Once the follice reaches the appropriate size for ovulation (18-24 mms), an HCG injection is given to trigger ovulation.  You would then commence intercourse or undergo IUI.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG