Infertility/Fertility/Progesterone cream

Question
Hi, I'm Megan writing from Nova Scotia, Canada.
I am planning to start using progesterone cream to balance my cycles and help with PMS symptoms. My husband and I are going to start trying to get pregnant in a few months and I am wondering how the cream should be used if I get pregnant. I know stopping the cream at that point could cause a miscarriage, but how long should I use it into pregnancy?
Would it be better to stop using the cream once we start trying to conceive?
Thanks!

Answer
Hello Megan from Canada,

If you are going to use progesterone while you are trying for pregnancy, it should be under the direction of a doctor treating you.  It is not wise to take a medication without a reason and self treatment is not a good reason.  In general, natural progesterone supplementation is used to support the luteal phase so that implantation can take place and then support the early pregnancy.  It is not discontinued until 10-12 weeks pregnancy if you get pregnant.

Please keep in mind that in this site, I am happy to answer question and give opinions but I do not prescribe specific medications for patients to take without being under a Physicians guidance.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG