Infertility/Fertility/Progesterone cream

Hi, I'm Megan writing from Nova Scotia, Canada.
I am planning to start using progesterone cream to balance my cycles and help with PMS symptoms. My husband and I are going to start trying to get pregnant in a few months and I am wondering how the cream should be used if I get pregnant. I know stopping the cream at that point could cause a miscarriage, but how long should I use it into pregnancy?
Would it be better to stop using the cream once we start trying to conceive?

Hello Megan from Canada,

If you are going to use progesterone while you are trying for pregnancy, it should be under the direction of a doctor treating you.  It is not wise to take a medication without a reason and self treatment is not a good reason.  In general, natural progesterone supplementation is used to support the luteal phase so that implantation can take place and then support the early pregnancy.  It is not discontinued until 10-12 weeks pregnancy if you get pregnant.

Please keep in mind that in this site, I am happy to answer question and give opinions but I do not prescribe specific medications for patients to take without being under a Physicians guidance.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco