Infertility/Fertility/Trying to conceive .. have fibroid and Antithyroid antibodies

AntiThryoid Antibodies
AntiThryoid Antibodies  
I am trying to conceive since last 6 years but have not been successful. Recently I had scanning and the doctors have found fibroids in the uterus which needs to be removed through laproscopic surgery.
Also, the Antithyroid antibodies Anti Microsomal(TPO) is 139.3 and Anti Thyroglobulin (Tg) is 432.7
My doctors suggested me that my case is complicated and have less chance of conceiving and also more chances of miscarriage due to this antithyroid antibodies. Doctors says that we do not have any treatment for anitthryoid antibodies. Is it true?
Or might be we do not have in India? Is it?
Can u let us know what shoudl we do in this case

Hello Vikram from India,

First, fibroids don't necessarily need to be removed to improve pregnancy chances unless they are (1) very big and distorting the uterus or (2) pushing into the endometrial cavity.

In terms of anti-thyroid antibodies, these don't necessarily prevent pregnancy but have been related to an increase chance of miscarriage.  At this time, there is no concrete treatment.  There are some studies showing increased pregnancy success rates with giving supplemental Selenium, but these are no necessarily proven.  So, at this time, there is not a specific treatment that I can recommend for the anti-thyroid antibodies, but I would not assume, as your doctor has, that you can't be successfully pregnant.  I would be optimistic and continue to try to conceive.

Considering that you have not been able to get pregnant over the past 6 years, that means there is something seriously going wrong in your reproductive system.  I don't necessarily think it is these two identified problems.  I would strongly advise that you consider seeing an infertility subspecialist (a doctor that does IVF) and consider pursuing IVF if you are serious about getting pregnant.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco