Infertility/Fertility/Birth control

I have been on the birth control known as Sprintec 28 the oral pill for 5 years, and as of this April, I have not taken it. Since I have been off, I have had only one normal period and that was in July. I have had some spotting in October, but that is it. Before I started the pill and while on it I have always had a normal period. The only thing that is happening is that I'm getting a lot more discharge than normal. My fear is that since I'm not menstruating, I may not be ovulating. I understand that it takes time for your body to adjust to not being on the pill anymore. My husband and I have had unprotected sex about 3 times a week and we are trying to concieve. I am 25 years old and have never had any issues until now. I am wondering if maybe its just the birth control doing this or if there could be something else? I have read a lot about amenorreah, and seeing as how my period just stopped for such a length of time if that could be what it is? Is there anything that I can do to increase my chances of becoming pregnant?

Hello Kimberlee from the U.S. (Tennessee),

You are correct that this is a sign that you are not ovulating.  More specifically, it is a sign that the ovaries are not functioning correctly.  It is not due to the birth control pill.  It is well out of your system.

There are many reasons that the ovaries would not work correctly and for that reason an evaluation needs to be done.  This is a simple blood test looking at your hormones on cycle day #2 or 3.  It will look at the hypothalamus, pituitary, thyroid and evaluate the ovaries.  The treatment will depend on the cause, however, the most common cause is an ovarian dysfunction.  In that case, "fertility drugs" or medications that induce ovulation would be the treatment of choice.  

As long as there are no other reasons to be infertile, then you should have the same chances of pregnancy as any woman of your age.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco