Infertility/Fertility/failed IVFs

Question
Hi doc,

I am 31 yr old and recently had my 5th Ivf cycle where HCG booster dose was given after Embryo Transfer, twice a week. For natural production of progesterone, etc.
Now my Beta hcg value, 1 day after last hcg booster dose of 5000 IU came as 85(blood test).

Can I hope for something positive?
My RE says to test again after 48 hrs.

I already had 4 failed IVFs due to implantation failures has natural pregnancy once which got miscarried at 2 months.

If this cycle fails my RE wud suggest surrogacy!!!! i dont think i am a candidate for surrogacy.

thnx for ur response doc

Answer
Hello Ria from India,

Usually a positive bHCG is confirmation of implantation and a pregnancy.  It is not usually a false positive from the HCG shots because it is testing for the beta subunit of HCG.  However, your doctor is correct.  You need to continue to follow the levels to see how the pregnancy progresses, but at least you can be satisfied to know that you achieved a positive pregnancy test.  That means that the IVF worked.  Continuation of the pregnancy is now dependent on the pregnancy itself and your body, both of which are natural processes.  All you can do is hope for the best.

In terms of surrogacy, I can't give you a clear answer on that option, since I don't know your complete medical history, but from what you have given me, I don't see why that would be necessary.  Surrogacy is used mainly in patients that have some type of uterine abnormality.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG