A mother of 6 children; tubes were tied, got married and husband wanted children. Also to find out he has mobility with his sperm so icsi was done 2 Good viable quality
Eggs were transferred. Since I was able to have children before from your expertise would ivf help me?

I currently had an egg retrieval done 12/5/12 and returned 12/8/12 for egg transfer.  I've been ok. ; however,  I've experienced some low grade to moderate fevers no more than 101.4. Blood work was also done on 12/14/12 to confirm I have no infections. I often now have a great deal of fatigue, belly fullness, I also experiencing symptoms like my belly button being sucked in like whatever had it wouldn't release it. My menses is scheduled to arrive 12/17/12 I have slight cramping and fluttering of the stomach. I have extremely sore nipples and they have gotten thicker and darker???? I don't have gas. I'm moving my bowels as normal. I haven't experienced any bleeding or spotting. I feel normal ; I know everyone is different.  As of today 12/16/12  I am 8dpt3dt, I took a HPT. (Home Pregnancy Test), I am aware that testing is to early;  but, it gives me indication that my trigger shot hcg has left my system because I got a BFN (BIG FAT NEGATIVE ). I'm scheduled for beta on 12/22/12.  My stomach is  increasingly huge??? The sides are firm and the top is also firm, the bottom is flabby. My previous stretch marks are completely stretch out! (I felt some fluttering???)   Good for me cause I can apply cocoa butter to help them go away  :)  but seriously Dr. Can you explain why I'm feeling this way. This is my first ivf.

Medications given due to standard procedure after ivf were: Estrace 2mgs 2x a day;  orally
Progesterone 2 capsules 3x a day; 100 mgs per capsule; 600 mgs in total per day; vaginal
Prenatal plus, 1pill 1x a day.

Thank you, Dr. for taking the time to read my thoughts. If I have any other questions I'll be sure to ask. Thanks again, I really appreciate it when Dr. 's listen to their patients and give sound advice.  

Hello Springbaby from the U.S. (NYC),

I'm afraid I can't explain the symptoms that you relate.  There is an illness that patients can get as a result of ovarian stimulation call OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) that will cause the accumulation of fluid within the abdomen, making the abdomen feel tight and making it harder to breath.  I don't think that is what you have but an examination would rule that out.

By now, a blood pregnancy test would be able to detect a pregnancy if you were pregnant so I would recommend that.

Oral progesterone supplementation for IVF is not the norm.  The norm is either vaginal or injectable since studies have shown that to be the only effective means to deliver progesterone to the endometrial lining.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco