Infertility/Fertility/From Ohio, Worried about Stopping Progesterone

I was having trouble conceiving and on one cycle had light spotting around when I should have started my period, I saw my OB and he tested progesterone and HCG that same day. He advised progesterone was low (0.7) and pregnancy test was negative. I began bleeding the next day and the blood was different and had "flakes" in it. (I suspect that was a MC).
After that visit he advised to start 200mg progesterone one time a day for 10 dpo. I conceived 2 months later but had already stopped the progesterone after the 10 days not realizing it. I started bleeding but HCG was still doubling but then stopped doubling and had confirmed MC.
I conceived again 6 months later and I am almost 12 weeks. The pregnancy started as twins (in same sac) but lost one. I have continued the 200mg progesterone and was told at my last visit I could stop them b/c I am past 10 weeks.
Is it always safe to stop once you reach this point? I am worried I will start bleeding again due to stopping the progesterone. My prog level has not been tested ever since. Should it be?

Hello Christie from the U.S. (Ohio),

By 8 weeks gestational age, the placenta has developed fully and is producing the hormones necessary to sustain the pregnancy.  If a miscarriage occurs after that point it is not because of hormones but because there is something abnormal with the fetus (probably why the twin died).  In IVF we keep the supplements going until 10 weeks, some to 12 weeks, but do not continue it past there.  It is safe to stop at this point.  Progesterone testng is not necessary.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco