Infertility/Fertility/PCOS... Could I be pregnant?

I am 24.... I was diagnosed with PCOS 18 months after my daughter was born... She is now 4. I had zero trouble getting pregnant with her (she was a surprise). My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 3 years. After my daughter I had an IUD inserted for birth control and had it removed 18 month later. After 6 months of no luck the doctor did some tests and said I have PCOS.... I have used metforman and done 3 rounds of clomid with no luck. We lost our insurance about a year ago and have been trying to get pregnant the old fashion way. Since I got my IUD removed I have had very irregular periods. My last period was 5 weeks ago. I took a test yesterday and it was negative... I had some light spotting yesterday but that is it. I thought it might be the start of a period but I have stopped bleeding completely. I have been very fatigued, sore/tender breasts, major mood swings, lower back pain, head ached, ect.... All of which are not normal for me even when my period is about to start. Is there a chance I could be pregnant with no assistance and PCOS? How long should I wait for my period to start before I try to find a doctor to check me out? When should I take another pregnancy test? I am just really confused since my body has never acted like this except for when I was pregnant with my daughter but I don't know how periods and pregnancy differ now that I have PCOS and irregular periods. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks for your time.

Hello Whitney from the U.S.,

There is always the possibility of spontaneous pregnancy even in a PCOS patient.  PCOS patients do ovulate every once in a while.  I would recommend that you have a blood pregnancy test done.  That shouldn't cost much.

Irregular menstrual cycles is a sign that the ovaries are not functioning correctly, which is what PCOS is.  It is an ovarian dysfunction leading to the lack of ovulation.  The treatment for this is to use fertility medications, but you could be wasting time and money if you see the wrong doctor.  It takes some extra knowledge and skill to induce ovulation in PCOS patients.  Simply taking Clomid does not work.  Besides there are 5 doses of Clomid that can be used and other medications that can be tried as well.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate  

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco