Infertility/Fertility/trying to get pregnant using femara

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

I having been using femara for the last 3 months to try and get pregnant. I have PCOS and had 1 natural ,3 children using 50mg clomid. I wanted to try for one more and my DR wanted me to try femara as it has less side effects. I used 2.5mg the first 2 months and nothing didnt even ovulate. This month used 5mg and pretty sure I ovulated on day 14 as I chart. i used the femara days 3-7. Today is cycle day 27. I had some extreme cramping over last weekend and have had heartburn, lots of watery discharge and my cervix is high and hard. Normally my cervix is low and I have creamy or no cervical fluid this close to my period being due which I usually get on day 29-30. Why would my cervix to be high and hard this late in my cycle? Is that normal or should I be concerned? Im not sure whats normal or not to expect from using femara and my Dr doesnt really answer my questions or monitor me so Im kind of doing it on my own using the pills and charting. Any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
From St. Paul, MN

ANSWER: Hello Marie from the U.S. (Minnesota),

Femara is used just like Clomid and can be used in doses of 2.5, 5.0 or 7.5 mg on cycle day #3-7 or 5-9.

I can't explain the symptoms or changes that you describe, but it is not typical of or related to using Femara.  Could pregnancy be the cause? possibly.

The only suggestion that I could make at this time would be to find a doctor that knows how to do ovulation induction cycles correctly i.e. by monitoring the patients and determining when intercourse would be optimal.  The way your doctor is doing it is basically hit or miss, basically just random chance.  In my blog, I have written about how an ovulation induction cycle with Clomid should be done.  It is exactly the same with Femara.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

QUESTION: Hi,

I had something ive never experienced before whir my Dr said was a vulvar cyst. He put me on a antibiotic for 7 days it has went down. I have also been feeling symptoms as if I was pregnant. Im on cycle day 20 and took femara on says 3-7. I decided to test just being curious and it was positive. Can the cyst cause a false positive? Im curently trying to find a new ob as I dont feel confident in mine as he alwats seems to blow off my questions.

Thanks,
Marie

Answer

The vulvar is basically the labia and opening to the vagina.  The "vulvar cyst" is therefore, on the outside.  It will have no impact on pregnancy and cannot cause a pregnancy test to turn positive.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

Infertility/Fertility

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG