Infertility/Fertility/Over diluted hcg

I did my trigger shot (hcg) at 730pm last night and I accidently did 3cc of saline instead of 2cc. I injected all the medicine, but now I'm freaking out that my retrieval will fail. I am scheduled for retrieval at 730 tomorrow morning. Do I need to tell my doctor or is it no big deal? I had quite a few eggs measuring over 20 if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Hello Brenna from the U.S. (Illinois),

By now you probably have talked with your doctor, which is what you should have done.  I'm sorry that this reply is late but it is not an emergency question site so immediate replies are not available.  I try to get to the questions as soon as I can.

But, the good news is that the amount of saline you used should not affect the dosage effect of the medication.  It is the dosage of the medication that is important and not the amount of volume of fluid as long as ALL the medication was delivered.  It just leads to a more painful injection because of the increased fluid.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco