Infertility/Fertility/Hypothyroidism and amenorreah

Thyroid results
Thyroid results  

I am writing from Sydney, Australia.

My husband and I want to start trying for a family but I have not had a period in 7 months. I have been treated for hypothyroidism for several years now and am feeling better than ever. I am currently on 20mg of Tertroxin and 150mg of oroxine. I am also on 30mg DHEA troche daily. I am otherwise very fit and healthy. I have attached my thyroid results. My treating doctor regards my current dose as appropriate notwithstanding the TSH reading. Her view is that, as my T3 and T4 levels are within range, my dose is ok. My corresponding hormone results were as follows:

FSH 8.4
LH 4.7
Oestradiol 48
Progesterone 1.8
Testosterone 0.6
Free Androgen index 0.8
DHEA 4.5

I would be grateful for your comments.

Warm regards

Hello Amie from Australia,

Without a specific question I don't know if I'm giving you the information that you want but the fact that you are not having a period indicates that the ovaries are not functioning.  The only abnormality I see in your hormone levels is a very low TSH which is an indication that you are a little Hyperthyroid (increased thyroid function).  You might want to consider lowering your thyroid dosage.

In addition, since you are not ovulating, as indicated by no periods, you will probably need to use fertility medications to induce the ovaries to ovulate.  I would recommend that you see an infertility specialist for this.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at check me out on twitter with me at @montereybayivf and facebook @montereybayivf.  Skype and internet comprehensive consultations now available via my website for those who want a more extensive evaluation that this site can accommodate

Edward Joseph Ramirez, MD, FACOG

I am a specialist in infertility and advanced gynecological care. I can answer questions about infertility, gynecology related ills, menopause...virtually anything that affects women's health. PLEASE tell me where you are writing from as I am always interested.

I have been practicing as an Ob/Gyn and Infertility Specialist for over 23 years. Gynecology, advanced laparoscopic surgery, basic infertility, IUI's, IVF, reproductive surgery, and ovulation induction are all areas of my expertise. I am Board Certified. I have been doing In Vitro Fertilization in my clinic for 19 years.

American College of OB/GYN, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, Fellow of The American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists,Resolve-National Chapter, Open Path - Northern California, Board of Directors Monterey Medical Society

American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wall Street Journal, Monterey Herald, SERMO, Women's Health and Fertility Blog

Medical Degree from Stanford University, Residency at Tripler Army Medical Center, Reproductive Training at Pacific Fertility Center, San Francisco